Thursday, July 20, 2006
Touching, Funny, Honest

Humor makes even the most difficult situations seem bearable. Miriam Engelberg channels her funny bone in this insightful illustrated book titled, Cancer Made Me a Shallower Person. She expresses through comic strips what many of us have expressed about our cancer experiences, but with her own wit and style. In one of the first comic strips people ask her which side has the cancer. I remember hearing that myself and wondering why people would ask such a question. And it reminded me of a certain conversation I had with a certain police officer about a certain seat belt that certainly wasn’t fastened when I was recovering from surgery. You know the rule: Click it or Ticket . . . or cry your way out of it in embarrassment of being forced to explain it and having the officer (with whom you have to socialize at employee Christmas luncheons and summer picnics) ask which side (as though it made a difference) and other details even though you said, “just give me the ticket.” The smile this book brings to you will make it worth the read.

Hope you find the humor in many things today.

P.S. If you like this book, you may also want to check out Mom's Cancer by Brian Fies.
Written by Unknown
5 chimed in

Name: Jeannette
Location: Southern California, USA

This is my story about being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 39. I thought I was out of the woods, but four years late it came back. This is my quest to be a two-time survivor.

E-mail me here
Please leave your mark
and sign my guestbook!



Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
I'm Too Young For This! Cancer Foundation
  • Click to join sistersinsurvivorship

    Click to join sistersinsurvivorship


  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TwoHands-Jeannette. Make your own badge here.
  • © 2004 - 2009 by the author of Two Hands

    The contents of this website are protected by applicable copyright laws. All rights are reserved by the author.

    Disclaimer: This site does not provide medical or any other health care advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professional. Two Hands does not guarantee the accuracy of content and is not responsible for information on any of the websites that are provided as links.

    Powered by Blogger



    Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory






    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12