Wednesday, November 24, 2004
Giving Thanks
When I think of Thanksgiving, my first thoughts are family, a great meal, the Macy’s parade, and lots of football (though it isn’t my favorite sport, it is just inescapable that day). My first thoughts also include a feeling of gratitude for so many blessings, but somehow my first thoughts are not about the first Thanksgiving celebration. It’s hard not to think about Pilgrims and Indians with their images everywhere, but in many ways, Thanksgiving has become a much more personal holiday; a day when we are mindful of the things for which we are thankful. What a wonderful gift they have given us.

It is hard for me not become overwhelmed with emotion as I think about everything for which I give thanks. I have been truly blessed by a loving God with so many wonderful people surrounding me and carrying me through this journey.

I am thankful for an amazingly supportive family who has gone above and beyond to be there for me. From providing care, to sending cards, to posting encouraging messages, to making me laugh. My family, near and far, immediate and extended, is incredible.

I am thankful for wonderful medical attention. Everyone from the surgeon, the oncologist, the nurses, to the RNPs, has been more than I ever expected.

I am grateful for the wonderful advice and insight I have received from my cousins Pat and Cindy who have also walked this journey. Their wisdom has been a lifesaver. I have tried to live up to their examples of courage and strength.

I am so appreciative of my supportive work environment. I have always felt lucky to work for this organization and have been proud of my affiliation; however, I never anticipated the overwhelming outpouring of support and consideration. Everyone has been great, compassionate, sympathetic, supportive, and most of all, they make me laugh and laugh with me.

I don’t think I could have a better circle of friends. So many people have been on this rollercoaster with me holding my hand, offering support, wearing bracelets, celebrating the milestones with me, and so much more. I am indeed truly blessed.

I am also thankful for the extended group of supporters I have met here electronically. It is an an unexpected joy to receive support and kind wishes from people I have never met before. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to wish me well and follow my progress. It has given me a lift when I most needed it.

I am most thankful for the gift of life. I love each day, I enjoy the struggles and joys each day brings, and I hope that all I do reflects my passion for life.

Happy Thanksgiving indeed!
Written by Unknown
5 chimed in

Name: Jeannette
Location: Southern California, USA

This is my story about being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 39. I thought I was out of the woods, but four years late it came back. This is my quest to be a two-time survivor.

E-mail me here
Please leave your mark
and sign my guestbook!



Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
I'm Too Young For This! Cancer Foundation
  • Click to join sistersinsurvivorship

    Click to join sistersinsurvivorship


  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TwoHands-Jeannette. Make your own badge here.
  • © 2004 - 2009 by the author of Two Hands

    The contents of this website are protected by applicable copyright laws. All rights are reserved by the author.

    Disclaimer: This site does not provide medical or any other health care advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professional. Two Hands does not guarantee the accuracy of content and is not responsible for information on any of the websites that are provided as links.

    Powered by Blogger



    Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory






    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12