Monday, September 20, 2004
A Topless Society

"One must always wear a hat when lunching with people whom one does not know well. One appears to one's best advantage. " --Coco Chanel


My chemo-induced hair loss has given me a new appreciation for hats. As I was sitting in church yesterday, I realized I was the only person wearing a hat. Let's face it, we have become a topless society. No one wears hats any longer. Sure you see the occasional ball cap, but a hat isn't the crowning accessory any longer. Hats traditionally have been worn to protect against the elements, but evolved to represent much more. In early Roman times, hats may have marked a person's rank. As fashion evolved, hats became a symbol of social class. So what has happened? Why do I often feel like the lone hat wearer in a sea of topless people?

Put aside your notions that hats are reserved for bad hair days, beach trips, and sports activities. I present to you my list of Top Ten Benefits of Wearing a Hat. Maybe you too will join me as a hat fashionista after reading the list.

Top Ten Benefits of Wearing a Hat

10. Hats are very couture! Lucy never left home without one on.

9. A hat can be a great accessory to help you get someone's attention. It works even better, if you hold the hat in your hand and wave it in the general direction of the person whose attention you want.

8. A hat can distinguish you as part of a team.

7. A hat can protect your head from those pesky pigeons when sightseeing at European landmarks and town squares (trust me on this one, no really, trust me).

6. A hat can be a fine place to display your Olympic pin collection.

5. A hat can double as a glove at a baseball game to help you catch foul balls and home runs.

4. Hats identify your occupation: fireman, cowboy, showgirl, etc.

3. Hats allow you to display a personal message such as, "I'd rather be _________" (fill in the blank).

2. At a horse race, the hats help you to spot the jockeys.


1. Hats make it so much easier to identify the "good guys" from the "bad guys."
Written by Unknown
3 chimed in

Name: Jeannette
Location: Southern California, USA

This is my story about being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 39. I thought I was out of the woods, but four years late it came back. This is my quest to be a two-time survivor.

E-mail me here
Please leave your mark
and sign my guestbook!



Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
I'm Too Young For This! Cancer Foundation
  • Click to join sistersinsurvivorship

    Click to join sistersinsurvivorship


  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TwoHands-Jeannette. Make your own badge here.
  • © 2004 - 2009 by the author of Two Hands

    The contents of this website are protected by applicable copyright laws. All rights are reserved by the author.

    Disclaimer: This site does not provide medical or any other health care advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professional. Two Hands does not guarantee the accuracy of content and is not responsible for information on any of the websites that are provided as links.

    Powered by Blogger



    Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory






    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12