Friday, September 10, 2004
Post-Chemo Friday
I still haven't gotten used to the day after chemo. I feel fine for the most part and feel like I should be doing something, but I know if I do, it will wear me out and intensify the side effects. And then there is the dreaded Neulasta shot coming up in just a few moments. Rather than whining about the little things, I should be focusing on the many things for which I am grateful.

At my doctor's appointment yesterday, I found out my blood levels are still strong. My red blood cells went from 11.8 to 11.6 -- just a slight dip. As a reference, at 11.0 they would start supplemental medication to assist in keeping these levels high. At 9.0 they start transfusions. So I am still in good shape. She recommended I consider adding a daily dose of iron if I could tolerate it. This would help keep my levels up without adding additional medications. I think her direct quote was, "Frankly, Jeannette, I'm quite impressed. You are doing excellent." She also concurred that the cellulitis was looking fine, but still encouraged me to just keep an eye on it.

I also mentioned that I have started having some burning and tingling in my feet. This is likely a sign of chemo-induced neuropathy. This isn't as common a side effect of the AC cocktail; however, it is much more likely to experience this side effect on the Taxol which I start next. To prevent this from getting any worse, the doctor suggested I start glutamine supplements. Glutamine is an amino acid which helps the body restore itself. This will help manage the damage caused by the chemotherapy to the good cells. For the specific symptoms I reported, it will help protect the nerve endings and also balance the GI tract a bit which may help with any problems I have been experiencing in that area (bonus benefit!).

Once again, it isn't so much a complication as an annoyance and it is a side effect that can be managed. I continue to be grateful that treatment has evolved so far. The miracles of modern medicine are amazing. The blessings of generous God are even more amazing.
Written by Unknown
3 chimed in

Name: Jeannette
Location: Southern California, USA

This is my story about being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 39. I thought I was out of the woods, but four years late it came back. This is my quest to be a two-time survivor.

E-mail me here
Please leave your mark
and sign my guestbook!



Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
I'm Too Young For This! Cancer Foundation
  • Click to join sistersinsurvivorship

    Click to join sistersinsurvivorship


  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TwoHands-Jeannette. Make your own badge here.
  • © 2004 - 2009 by the author of Two Hands

    The contents of this website are protected by applicable copyright laws. All rights are reserved by the author.

    Disclaimer: This site does not provide medical or any other health care advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professional. Two Hands does not guarantee the accuracy of content and is not responsible for information on any of the websites that are provided as links.

    Powered by Blogger



    Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory






    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12