Sunday, June 19, 2005
Dangerous Curves
"I like your lines I love your curves,
Checking out your bodywork . . "
-Craig David, Fast Cars

"To all my shorties wigglin they shakin they curves . . ."
-Busta Rhymes, Make it Clap

"You see the highway's like a woman, soft shoulders an' dangerous curves . . "
-Albert Collins, The Highway is Like a Woman

Hmm. Can you guess where I am going with this? Today I had one of those moments. I wasn't saddened or upset. I was just wistful.

My sister and I made a quick stop into a clothing store this afternoon. She and I have very similar taste and often end up making very similar clothing purchases, though usually in different colors. In fact, we often have to coordinate to make sure we won't be dressed similarly if we are going to the same place. Today we both liked the same blouse. It was professional and could be worn for work in the heat of the summer months ahead. Since we work in two very different places where our paths do not cross (unless meeting for lunch), we decided we could both have the same blouse without much worry about appearing like twins.

We both go into our fitting rooms. I put the blouse on, it feels great and looks fine. With the right accessories, it could be a part of great summer ensemble. Joyce wants me to take a look at her wearing the blouse so I get dressed and go to her fitting room. She looked beautiful. The shade of blue with her coloring looked smashing. I can hear you all asking, "So where is the wistful part?"

"She got some danger, dangerous curves . . ."
-Moon Martin, Dangerous Curves

" . . Da temptation to feel da body,
Temptation to kiss the curves . . ."
-Nelly, Paradise


"She’s built, she’s stacked
Got all the curves that men like"
-Carl Carlton, She's a Bad Mama Jama


The blouse looked so different on her. She still has the bustline that gives the blouse that special look of being fitted around feminine curves. It looked so amazingly different and much better on her. I no longer have those curves. This was different than seeing an image in a magazine or music video. Our society is so fixated on the physical appearance, but I have learned to tune that out a bit and not take it personally (even though a quick search turned up way more than six songs that refer to a woman's curves). Seeing my sister was like seeing my old self. Standing and breathing in front of me was a previous me. Again that image of me morphing from a woman with voluptuous curves to this relatively flat-chested being with middle-aged housewife hair reminded me of the ravages of cancer on my body. I had actually gone a day or two without thinking about it.

Even though I had this wistful moment, I didn't lose it. Heck, I still made the purchase (did you expect anything less?). I've grown to accept the new image, even if I long for the curves from time to time. With a little white lace camisole peaking out the top, I can still give it a feminine touch with or without the bizongas.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say It's in the click of my heels
The bend of my hair
The palm of my hand
The need for my care.
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.
-Maya Angelou
Written by Unknown
1 chimed in

Name: Jeannette
Location: Southern California, USA

This is my story about being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 39. I thought I was out of the woods, but four years late it came back. This is my quest to be a two-time survivor.

E-mail me here
Please leave your mark
and sign my guestbook!



Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
I'm Too Young For This! Cancer Foundation
  • Click to join sistersinsurvivorship

    Click to join sistersinsurvivorship


  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TwoHands-Jeannette. Make your own badge here.
  • © 2004 - 2009 by the author of Two Hands

    The contents of this website are protected by applicable copyright laws. All rights are reserved by the author.

    Disclaimer: This site does not provide medical or any other health care advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professional. Two Hands does not guarantee the accuracy of content and is not responsible for information on any of the websites that are provided as links.

    Powered by Blogger



    Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory






    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12