Tuesday, February 01, 2005
Fascinating, Really
This expansion process is really quite interesting. There is so much involved in the process, however, it just seems to be business as usual for the medical staff. The plastic surgeon is just fabulous. He remembers the minor personal details from visit to visit even though he has done a gazillion things, seen many people, and perhaps even flown half way around the world between my visits. I have tremendous respect for him. Here is the process we follow during visits for filling the expanders.

After I lie back on the table, he uses a device akin to a small stud finder to locate the valves on the tissue expanders. The valves have a small piece of metal behind them so I think this is the tracking device he is locating. The valves are approximately in the 2:00 position (if my breasts were a clock). After he marks the spot with an "x," he inserts a needle and starts to add the saline solution. At first the fluid feels a little cool going in, but that is about all I feel. About halfway through I begin to feel a little full, for lack of a better description. As he continues, I begin to feel a little tightness. It really isn't all that bad. As the evening progresses, I feel a little more tender especially along the sides. This continues for about a day or so.

This round was another 120 cc. I definitely feel more tight and the growth I believe is obvious this time. The expanders are not expanding exactly in the place the final implants will be located. This is very normal; however, as the expansion continues it might look a little strange to me. I'm not so sure it will be noticeable to everyone else. All in all, so far so good (better than fine, I might add). At this point I would definitely recommend this type of two-stage reconstruction.
Written by Unknown
5 chimed in

Name: Jeannette
Location: Southern California, USA

This is my story about being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 39. I thought I was out of the woods, but four years late it came back. This is my quest to be a two-time survivor.

E-mail me here
Please leave your mark
and sign my guestbook!



Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
I'm Too Young For This! Cancer Foundation
  • Click to join sistersinsurvivorship

    Click to join sistersinsurvivorship


  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TwoHands-Jeannette. Make your own badge here.
  • © 2004 - 2009 by the author of Two Hands

    The contents of this website are protected by applicable copyright laws. All rights are reserved by the author.

    Disclaimer: This site does not provide medical or any other health care advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professional. Two Hands does not guarantee the accuracy of content and is not responsible for information on any of the websites that are provided as links.

    Powered by Blogger



    Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory






    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12