Thursday, October 08, 2009
Stand By Her
Living through a breast cancer diagnosis or two truly helps you understand people and how they react to certain situations. I have learned so much about people from the faithful friends and family members who won't leave your side to the scared friends who hide from cancer and you in the process. It seems the ones who have had the toughest time addressing me or breast cancer have been the men in my life. First, the issue is intimate, scary, and emotional. All things that some men have a difficult time addressing. Of all the resources available about breast cancer, few address the needs of the men supporting women with this diagnosis. Luckily, that has changed.

STAND BY HER: A Breast Cancer Guide for Men by John W. Anderson (AMACOM Books, October 2009) is an excellent resource for any man who needs help in overcoming the fears and frustrations of seeing loved ones diagnosed with breast cancer. Not only does he share his own experiences with his mother, his mother's friend, his aunt, and his wife, he also provides strategies and support for navigating the breast cancer minefield.

I don't normally endorse products on my blog, but this is a great resource. Let's speak honestly here. Breast cancer treatment is so very tough for women, especially emotionally. A very large component of treatment involves serious hormone manipulation and often times physical changes. And frankly, if men were wired to be able to handle emotions and hormones, well, how do I finish that? It is an area where men and women are wired very differently leaving it difficult for men to understand how to offer the support a woman needs as she battles breast cancer. Don't get me wrong, some men handle all this like amazing champs, but everyone involved in a cancer diagnosis could use all the support available and then some.

Yes, I recommend this book, but I am not alone. This book is also endorsed by the Komen for the Cure Foundation. I like John W. Anderson. He has seen far more than his share of breast cancer in his lifetime, but he has used that painful experience to help others. Our caretakers are truly our heroes and John demonstrates this expertly in his book.

I want to share the love. In honor of breast cancer awareness month, I have a few copies of this book. Leave a message or drop me an email (link at the left) and I will send you a copy. No charge. Really. I'd like to get as many copies of this book into the hands of people that need it. But hurry; once they are gone you will have to find it on your own.

The more advanced we become with treatment and as the survival statistics rise, please know that women make it look easier and easier to fight breast cancer. Don't let us fool you. For many us, it will be the hardest thing we ever do. Anything anyone does to help ease the burden is never forgotten.

So who wants a book? Don't be shy. Drop me a line already.

Labels: ,

Written by Unknown
3 chimed in

Name: Jeannette
Location: Southern California, USA

This is my story about being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 39. I thought I was out of the woods, but four years late it came back. This is my quest to be a two-time survivor.

E-mail me here
Please leave your mark
and sign my guestbook!



Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
I'm Too Young For This! Cancer Foundation
  • Click to join sistersinsurvivorship

    Click to join sistersinsurvivorship


  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TwoHands-Jeannette. Make your own badge here.
  • © 2004 - 2009 by the author of Two Hands

    The contents of this website are protected by applicable copyright laws. All rights are reserved by the author.

    Disclaimer: This site does not provide medical or any other health care advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professional. Two Hands does not guarantee the accuracy of content and is not responsible for information on any of the websites that are provided as links.

    Powered by Blogger



    Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory






    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12