Sunday, November 13, 2005
Real Cancer, Real Lives #6
Welcome to Issue #6 of Real Cancer, Real Lives. My name is Jeannette and I am your host this week. Real Cancer, Real Lives is a blogging “Carnival” dedicated to increasing the awareness of all forms of cancer by showcasing how real people live with, battle, and ultimately come to terms with this life-changing disease.

For those of you who don't know my story, I was diagnosed with breast cancer on July 1, 2004. After eight round of chemo and a bilateral mastectomy, I am happy to say there is no evidence of cancer in my body. I am still going through the reconstruction process and this week I will be having my final surgery (finally!). While this process seems to have a beginning and end, anyone who has experienced cancer knows this is not the case. Once cancer has entered your life, it nevers leaves. We are constantly on the look out for signs of metastasis and many of us deal with side effects of treatment for a very long time. However, with the support of family and friends, real and virtual, and the support of our medical teams, we find a way to carry on. Come see for yourself:

Patient Blogs

Aeryn, a past host of Real Cancer, Real Lives, shares about the anxiety of having a CT exam and waiting for the results. I think we can all agree that the waiting is the hardest part at times. And we seem to do a lot of it!

Jenny at Jenny's Belly (and also a past host of Real Cancer, Real Lives) writes about the gift cancer gave her for her birthday: a trip the ER. Gee, maybe we can make gift suggestions for next year, Jenny. I hope you have had the chance to have tea on the cape.

Jerry at Cancer Sucks! shares some research he found on Cyber Knife treatments for cancer. It seems we are at a pivitol time in cancer research and so much is developing and changing. This can only be good news for us, right?

From my blog, Two Hands, I share an entry that talks about coping with the questions that loom heavy when treatment ends. It seems the one thing you can count on after chemo is questions. Questions that fill your mind nearly every moment of the day. It is a big adjustment.

Caregiver Blogs

Being a caregiver is an awesome responsibility. Amanda at Cancer. It's Not Just an Astrological Sign Anymore. shares her feelings about facing her husband's cancer. Amanda and her husband were only dating and just 16 and 17 respectively when he first faced leukemia. This year at age 25, he is facing it once again. Amanda's words are quite touching and help us understand the experience from the caregiver's perspective.

Medical Blogs

Josh at Multiple Mentality writes about the development of a cervical cancer vaccine and how it is perceived in the US.

At the Genetics and Public Health Blog you can read about how a gene signature may predict ovarian cancer survival.

Cary at Cancer News Watch writes about an immunotherapy prostate cancer vaccine that may cut the rate of progression in half.

I'm also including this post from The Cheerful Oncologist. For those of us that deal with oncologists, we know how wonderful (or not) they can be. But can you imagine being an oncologist and the range of feelings and emotions you must feel, yet somehow supress in order to do your job? When I first met my oncologist, I thought she was crazy to be in this field for any length of time. Read this entry. It will remind you what a noble profession these doctors chose.

Real Cancer, Real Lives needs you!

If you would like to submit a post for inclusion in Real Cancer, Real Lives, please do so via the Carnival Submit Form. When submitting your blog entry, be sure that Real Cancer, Real Lives is selected in the menu space provided. If you are interested in hosting the carnival, you can check available dates at the Real Cancer, Real Lives main page and just drop Cary at Cancer NewsWatch an email to let him know which date you'd like.

I would like to thank Cary at Cancer News Watch for inviting me to host this edition of Real Cancer, Real Lives. For those of you that have not stumbled upon their blogs, Cary's wife Lori has been facing ongoing cancer treatment for more than three years now. They both do a lot for the cancer community and I hope you get the chance to read their stories and show them some of that support right back.

Also, if you are interested in sharing your experience with cancer, I invite you to check out Traveling Hope. It is a new project I have launched and you can read more about it in the post below or over at the Traveling Hope site. I hope you enjoyed this sixth edition of Real Cancer, Real Lives.
Written by Unknown
6 chimed in

Name: Jeannette
Location: Southern California, USA

This is my story about being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 39. I thought I was out of the woods, but four years late it came back. This is my quest to be a two-time survivor.

E-mail me here
Please leave your mark
and sign my guestbook!



Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
I'm Too Young For This! Cancer Foundation
  • Click to join sistersinsurvivorship

    Click to join sistersinsurvivorship


  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TwoHands-Jeannette. Make your own badge here.
  • © 2004 - 2009 by the author of Two Hands

    The contents of this website are protected by applicable copyright laws. All rights are reserved by the author.

    Disclaimer: This site does not provide medical or any other health care advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professional. Two Hands does not guarantee the accuracy of content and is not responsible for information on any of the websites that are provided as links.

    Powered by Blogger



    Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory






    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12