Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Objects in Rear View Mirror May be Closer Than They Appear
Sunday night I broke my own personal rule to never watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. I was flipping through the channels mindlessly and was caught by the mention of breast cancer. It appears the three children in the family lost both their parents with fourteen months. Their father died unexpectedly followed by their mother’s loss to breast cancer. They are living with their grandparents who needed a home that could accommodate the kids. They had local builders contribute money, they had a walk to raise money for breast cancer, and of course, there was plenty of their trademark emotional manipulation. It isn't that I am cold-hearted; rather, quite the oppsite. I'm such a sap that I have a hard time watching these shows without getting emotionally drained.

Normally I would have turned off the television, but I was drawn in, hugging my pillow, with tears quietly falling down my face. It seems that no matter how far away cancer seems in the rear view mirror, it really is right under the surface. Or perhaps it was my week to feel sorry for myself (which truly does not happen often). You know, labs, three-month check-up, blah, blah, blah. The tests come up so quickly. Luckily, after the next one, I will graduate to the six-month check-up schedule.

The good news is that everything still looks good. Outside of needing some quinine to address the leg cramps brought on by the Tamoxifen, I am doing just fine. I wanted to avoid adding another prescription (especially one that is primarily used for malaria). I tried to drink tonic water (containing quinine) every day, but it just doesn’t taste the same without the gin.

It appears I am holding steady with no sign of cancer. What more could I ask?
Written by Unknown
7 chimed in

Name: Jeannette
Location: Southern California, USA

This is my story about being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 39. I thought I was out of the woods, but four years late it came back. This is my quest to be a two-time survivor.

E-mail me here
Please leave your mark
and sign my guestbook!



Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
I'm Too Young For This! Cancer Foundation
  • Click to join sistersinsurvivorship

    Click to join sistersinsurvivorship


  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TwoHands-Jeannette. Make your own badge here.
  • © 2004 - 2009 by the author of Two Hands

    The contents of this website are protected by applicable copyright laws. All rights are reserved by the author.

    Disclaimer: This site does not provide medical or any other health care advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professional. Two Hands does not guarantee the accuracy of content and is not responsible for information on any of the websites that are provided as links.

    Powered by Blogger



    Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory






    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12